Arden Arcade Standoff Ends with Suspect Arrest

SACRAMENTO COUNTY – A standoff in the Arden Arcade area yesterday ended with the surrender of a man who had fired gunshots off inside a residence and then refused to come out for two hours, according to Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department press release.

Douglas Cappa was arrested after a 2 hour standoff

Douglas Cappa, 26, was reportedly booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail the morning of Thursday, January 3, and faces multiple charges including burglary, vandalism, reckless discharge of a firearm and false imprisonment. He is being held on $75,000 bail.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, shortly before 9:00 pm on Wednesday, January 2, 2013, Sheriff’s deputies responded to the 2400 block of Wurth Court regarding a reported argument between a man and a woman. While deputies were responding, the Sheriff’s Department began to receive multiple additional calls from residents stating that gunshots had been fired at the location.

Deputies reportedly arrived at the scene and learned that Cappa was inside the home with a firearm, along with multiple other family members, including four young children. Nobody had reportedly been struck by gunfire, and deputies proceeded to evacuate several nearby residents for their safety.

As the incident developed, an adult inside the home reportedly escaped through a window, and was also able to get the four children in the residence out as well. A female adult, believed to be a family member of Cappa’s, remained inside. Sheriff’s Department officers reportedly learned that Cappa was likely holding the female adult inside the home against her will.

Many residents of the Wurth Court cul-de-sac were evacuated for safety during the standoff

During the standoff, deputies reportedly had intermittent contact with Cappa by telephone over the course of two hours, during which time he repeatedly refused to surrender to authorities.

Then shortly after 11pm, the female adult inside the home came out and was safely removed from the area. According to the Sheriff’s Department, moments later Cappa walked out of the residence and was taken into custody without further incident.

The weapon used by Cappa during the shooting earlier was reportedly recovered inside the residence. Cappa is scheduled to be arraigned later this week.

Read More:

Arden Arcade Standoff Ends with Suspect Arrest was last modified: January 14th, 2019 by admin

About Author

Corrie Pelc

Corrie Pelc brings over 16 years of journalism experience to United Reporting. She currently writes for a number of Sacramento-area publications, including Sacramento News & Review, East Sacramento News, Arden Carmichael News, Inside the City and Style Magazine.