Photo: Stock Image
HAYWARD — Anthony R. Bergstrom, 53, a longtime repeat offender, is in custody again—this time for a murder. Bergstrom (alias Anthony Sistare) is ineligible for release on bond, pending his plea hearing on May 4.
Bergstrom who lives in Hayward allegedly killed Anthony Nieto, 53, of Hayward. Police responded to a shooting January 4 at 12:42 a.m. The victim was found unresponsive on Park Street. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives placed Bergstrom under arrest on April 6. He is being housed at Santa Rita Jail. The homicide investigation is still ongoing. Anyone with information can contact Hayward police detective Nick Niedenthal at 510-293-7176.
Bergstrom faces charges for murder and addict in possession of a firearm, and other charges related to the shooting. Though he has been arrested many times, this is the first time that he is accused of committing murder.
Bergstrom has convictions for burglaries and vehicle thefts, and unlawful firearm activity dating back to 1997. Earlier this year, he was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, and receiving a stolen vehicle.
- He was arrested three times for vehicle thefts in 2022.
- In 2021, he was arrested five times for vehicle thefts.
- Bergstrom was arrested three times for vehicle thefts in 2020 and twice for burglaries.
- He was arrested for burglary and possession of a controlled substance in 2019.
- In 2018, Bergstrom was arrested three times for burglaries and once for possession of a controlled substance.
- He was arrested for vehicle theft and burglaries in 2016 and 2015.
- Bergstrom was arrested in 2014 for vandalism and being under the influence of a controlled substance.