Santa Rosa police investigate three incidents of possible threats, two students arrested
Santa Rosa police have announced two arrests in connection to alleged school shooting threats.
Over the course of two days — December 2 and December 3 — the department reportedly responded to three different incidents, two of which resulted in arrests of students, police said.
In the first incident, just after 9:30 on the morning of December 2, officers responded to North Valley School on Condo Court to investigate alleged bomb threats made toward the school and another student. Officers ultimately ended up taking a 14-year-old student into custody for the alleged threats.
Despite the threats, the student had no weapons, bomb-making materials, or other contraband in his possession at school or at home, police said.
In the second incident, on the morning of December 3, a parent contacted police to report that their child, a local high school student, had seen a comment posted several times on Snapchat suggesting rumors of a shooting to be carried out later that day. Investigators coordinated with school administrators to investigate, and ultimately concluded that it had been a hoax; no threat had been made and students were not in danger, police said.
In the third incident, also on the morning of December 3, police responded to Montgomery High School to investigate a report of a student possibly having brought a handgun to campus. Officers coordinated with school administrators to identify the student.
Due to the severity of the safety concerns, the student and his belongings were removed from class and immediately searched. Officers reportedly found a handgun in his backpack. Police say they do not believe the student had any intention of using the weapon.
Nonetheless, the student — an 18-year-old male — was arrested and booked on suspicion of felony possession of a gun on school grounds and possession of a concealed handgun.