Youth Counselor’s Murder – Two Charged, Four Youths Await February’s Court Date
Photo: David McKnight Hillman
SOUTH LOS ANGELES – February 4th is the court date awaiting four youths allegedly involved in the fatal group beating of their youth counselor on 01/02/2021. Two young adults have been charged with murder.
Each of the young adults – Nyier Mason (dob 12/2/2002) and Keith Lewis (dob 9/7/02) – had been charged earlier this month with participating in the group beating of David McKnight-Hillman (25), a counselor at a South Los Angeles children and family services facility. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that they both face one count of murder in case SA103771.
“Arraignment for Mason was continued in Department W30 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Airport Branch,” said Ricardo Santiago. “Lewis pleaded not guilty to the charge, and is scheduled to return on February 4 in Department W31.”
Allegedly, both facility residents Mason and Lewis participated in McNight-Hillman’s fatal beating. As a result of his injuries, the victim died the next day.
“Bail is set at $2 million for both,” said Santiago. “If convicted as charged, both defendants face a possible maximum sentence of 15 years to life in state prison.”
Which leads us to the rest of the group’s participants – the four anonymous youths, ages 16 and 17. They’ve been to Inglewood Juvenile Court, charged with murder, and deny the charge. Their return court date is set for February 4th, as the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department continues to investigate the tragic, violent crime.
“We all grieve for David McKnight-Hillman and his family,” said Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón. “As prosecutors, we will fulfill our constitutional duty to hold accountable the people responsible for his murder and offer the assistance of our Bureau of Victim Services to help his family obtain the support and services they need to address their loss and heal from the effects of their crime- induced trauma.”