Dangerous shooter faces possible third strike offense

On or around March 6, 2012 31-year-old Mitchell Craig Pope Jr. committed a deadly assault with a firearm in violation of PC 245(a) (2).   Pope had previously been released from prison, having served on a separate charge for another violent crime, and pursuant PC 667.5(b) committed a new offense, which can add to the length of a sentence for repeat violent offenders.

After his third strike, Mitchell Pope may be locked up for a long time.

Pope is being charged with a new Felony offense under PC 245 (a) (2). Allegations allege that Pope committed the act of discharging a firearm in violation of PC 12022.5(a).  Pending further investigation, Pope was released on felony parole, but has since been detained under PC1203.085 (b) which makes him ineligible for probation as a person convicted of a violent felony after his release from a State Prison facility.

Pope’s next court appearance will be held in courtroom 36 in the San Jose Hall of Justice at 1:30 pm on March 11, 2013.  San Jose Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Jason Dwyer said, “A very violent individual has been taken off the streets.”  The seriousness of the offense brings into question whether a second and third strike charge offense will be added against Pope, consistent with prior convictions making him ineligible for release from prison.    “He was determined to be a fairly high threat to the community and that’s why we spent so many resources on him,” Dwyer said.

The MERGE unit is San Jose’s equivalent of a SWAT team

The victim in this recent case was shot at four times while being confronted by Pope near his place of residence near Locust and Floyd Ave.  Witnesses in the area identified a white male driving a van leaving the area after the shooting.  The driver had been driving when Pope drove up next to him and held up a black gun.  The van described in the incidence was found parked in the area of Jarvis and Branham Ave in San Jose.  Investigators took the van into custody and booked it into evidence.

The victim, fearing for his safety, recognized Pope as the shooter and ducked down when he fired four rounds into his vehicle.  The victim in this case was not hurt, but suffered tremendous anxiety and shock from the shooting. The San Jose Police Department’s MERGE and assault unit located the suspect on February 1st near Center and Louis Roads in San Jose. In an early morning standoff with him, noise and flash devices were thrown through windows to draw the suspect out. Pope surrendered without incident.

Read More:

Mercury News: Suspect in three San Jose shootings arrested after brief standoff

KTVU: San Jose police arrest man suspected in multiple shootings

CBS Bay Area: SWAT Team Arrests ‘Violent Career Criminal’ in San Jose

Dangerous shooter faces possible third strike offense was last modified: January 14th, 2019 by admin
Categories: Santa Clara