HEMET – When an extremely agitated child tested positive for methamphetamines, the trail led back to an accidental sip of her grandmother’s nightly tea, which was spiked with illegal drugs.
On Sunday night, the mother of a two-year-old girl was flummoxed by the fact that her daughter was not only refusing to sleep, but seemed to be overly stimulated. Worried about the fact that her daughter was talking rapidly, scratching her skin, fidgeting and very agitated, the woman assumed that there might be some medical issue at play. After taking her to a local hospital to be examined, the little girl’s mother was shocked at the findings.
A thorough examination followed by tests revealed that the little girl was high on methamphetamines. Fearing what the source may be, the mother reported the situation to the authorities on Monday, June 30, 2014 at approximately 10:00 AM.
Riverside County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the child endangerment call, arriving on the 31000 block of Pine Street in Garner Valley. A thorough investigation revealed that the source of the methamphetamines was most likely the child’s grandmother. Cynthia Watson (51 years old from Aloha Oregon) was visiting her family at the Pine Street address. According to Sergeant Craig McDonald in a press release, authorities ascertained that Watson placed methamphetamines in a cup of tea she had brewed with the intention of getting high. Investigators believed that the cup of spiked tea was left unattended on a counter within reach of the toddler and that she must have taken a drink.
Watson was arrested for felony child endangerment and possession of methamphetamine. Watson was booked at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility, with a bail of $35,000.00. The two year old victim was released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
UT San Diego: Toddler drinks meth-laced tea, grandma jailed