Inter-agency operation ruptures L.A.-Santa Barbara drug pipeline
SANTA BARBARA – Teamwork between the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency and sheriff’s departments from Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties resulted in the arrests last month of Edgar Conde Delgado, 27, and Pedro Astorga Zamora, 36 on felony drug charges.
Both suspects were arrested in Compton on March 21 when DEA and L.A. county sheriff’s offers interrupted a drug sale between the two men.
At the time of the arrests, officers seized in excess of a full pound of methamphetamine, “apparently ready for distribution and sale,” said Drew Sugars, spokesman for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.
In addition to the methamphetamine, Sugars reported that detectives found “other evidence indicating the drugs were headed to Santa Barbara.”
Based upon that evidence, following the arrests in Compton, Santa Barbara sheriff’s detectives executed search warrants on Delgado’s Santa Barbara residence and his Santa Maria audio business.
The search, Sugars said in remarks to local media, “produced additional evidence directly linked to an active narcotics pipeline between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.”
A week after their arrests in Compton, on March 29, Delgado and Zamora were transported to the Santa Barbara County jail and booked on charges of criminal conspiracy, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and transporting a controlled substance for sale. Each of the suspects is currently held on $1 million bail.