Man who led authorities on chaotic multi-county pursuit arrested after 2-hour standoff

Man who led authorities on chaotic multi-county pursuit arrested after 2-hour standoff

Photos: Kings County Sheriff’s Office

A man has been arrested after allegedly leading authorities on a chaotic pursuit through multiple cities and counties, according to the Kings County Sheriff’s Office.

On the early afternoon of Monday, June 14, Tulare County deputies chased a black Ford Fiesta, reportedly being driven by 30-year-old Adan Hernandez, to a Burger King parking lot in Hanford. As a deputy tried to pull him out of the car, Hernandez accelerated, throwing the deputy to the ground and reinitiating the pursuit.

Hanford Police officers joined the pursuit, chasing Hernandez to the corner of Shepard Drive and Hume Avenue. Officers ordered him to surrender but Hernandez refused, accelerating and once again continuing the pursuit, at one point stopping and backing into an occupied patrol unit, the Sheriff’s Office said.

This time officers chased Hernandez into Kings County, at which point Kings County deputies took over and followed Hernandez as he headed toward Corcoran. Despite having one of his tires blown out by Stop Sticks, Hernandez continued on southbound State Route 43.

As Hernandez entered the city of Corcoran, a CHP officer deployed additional Stop Sticks, this time blowing out Hernandez’s remaining three tires. Authorities say Hernandez continued driving on the rims and made it back to State Route 43, this time heading north. Eventually, however, he lost control of the vehicle and ended up in a dirt field along 43 between Whitley and Orange Avenues.

Hernandez remained in his car, ignoring numerous attempts from deputies and crisis negotiators to deescalate the situation, and at one point was reportedly seen smoking what appeared to be meth.

K-9 Deputy Blutz

After a two-hour standoff, SWAT personnel deployed chemical agents that forced Hernandez out of the car. K-9 Officer Blutz was deployed to help subdue Hernandez, who responded by allegedly attempting to gouge out the dog’s eyes. At this point, Hernandez was subdued by a less-lethal round to the leg. SWAT personnel were then successfully able to get Hernandez into custody.

After being medically cleared,  Hernandez was booked into the Kings County Jail on a multitude of charges, with bail set at $155,000.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, neither the dog nor any officers were injured.

Man who led authorities on chaotic multi-county pursuit arrested after 2-hour standoff was last modified: June 29th, 2021 by admin
Categories: Kings, Tulare

Write a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.