Man Unintentionally Ignites Neighbor’s Roof with Illegal Firework
Photo: Juan Sandoval
MADERA – A man set off some fireworks and set his neighbor’s roof on fire on Sunday night. The misadventure occurred on the roof of a home on Pecan Avenue and Watt Street.
When Madera Police Officers arrived on scene they viewed video footage captured by a citizen. It showed 47-year old Juan Sandoval setting off illegal aerial fireworks shortly before the fire started.
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection concluded the fire was ignited by one of the illegal fireworks. This happened when sparks from the firework landed on Sandoval’s neighbor’s roof. The fire spread quickly and caused substantial damage before firefighters were able to put it out.
Police arrested Sandoval and charged him for causing a fire of an inhabited structure. In addition, his charge was discharging fireworks in a manner likely to cause injury. His involvement in illegal activity is a violation of his parole.
Therefore, He is ineligible for bond.
Madera County has a zero-tolerance policy for possession of illegal fireworks. Violators of this policy will face penalties and fines of up to $1000 and possible jail time.
Photos from Madera Police Department