Lohan catches break in sea of troubles
RIVERSIDE — It’s not easy being a non-working actress.
After a recent slate of bad news involving upcoming court dates, possible jail time and her father’s latest blunder, Lindsay Lohan finally caught a break this week: the Riverside County district attorney decided to drop pending assault charges.
“We are not filing any charges in the Lindsay Lohan case due to insufficient evidence,” DA spokesman John Hall told PEOPLE magazine on Tuesday.
The allegations stemmed from a Dec. 12, 2010 fracas between Lohan and Betty Ford Center employee Dawn Holland while Lohan was undergoing treatment at the center.
According to PEOPLE, the 24-year-old starlet became angry when Holland accused her of getting drunk and missing the center’s curfew. In response, Lohan allegedly hurled a phone at Holland and ripped another one out of her hand.
TMZ.com reports Holland being disappointed in the decision, saying she felt justice was not served and that Lohan may have received special treatment due to her celebrity.
“In my opinion, I don’t believe it’s fair (that the star won’t be charged),” Holland told TMZ.
The district attorney’s office insists, however, that Lohan’s celebrity did not play a role in the decision.
“It wasn’t looked at any differently than other cases, and we didn’t put any special priority on this,” Hall told PEOPLE. “We also had to re-interview subsequent times several witnesses in the case.”
The announcement comes at a good time for the troubled actress, who is also facing an April 22 court date for felony theft of a necklace from a Venice jeweler.
In the wake of the assault charges being dropped, both the New York Post and Daily Mail chronicled Lohan’s Wednesday night arrival in New York, where she was seen outside a bar kneeling on the sidewalk and seemingly struggling to stand in her high heels.
Along with a possible name change, it is also being reported that the Mean Girls star is seeking to become a New York resident.
Lindsay Lohan’s father, Michael Lohan, was charged last week with misdemeanor domestic violence for an alleged assault on his live-in girlfriend, reported The Los Angeles Times.