Pedestrian death leads to DUI murder charge

Cara Cameron’s booking photo

Westchester resident Cara Cameron was charged with murder by the Santa Monica District Attorney’s Office on September 21st after she ran over and killed an Australian tourist while driving under the influence a month previous.

On the evening of August 21st, 50-year-old Gary Robert Mara and his family were crossing the street against a “Don’t Walk” sign at the 300 block of Colorado Avenue in Santa Monica when Cameron’s vehicle struck them. Cameron had been traveling Eastbound and had the green light, but failed to stop when the family crossed the intersection.

Mara was seriously injured as a result of the collision and was transported to a local trauma center where he died in the early morning hours of August 21st. Mara is survived by his 8-year-old daughter, Olivia, who sustained minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital for treatment, and his 43-year-old wife Julianne, who did not sustain any injuries.

Cameron, who is 26-years-old, remained on the scene until the Santa Monica Police arrived. During the investigation, authorities determined that she was under the influence and arrested her for felony driving under the influence and vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. Cameron was later released from custody at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department when she posted $100,000 of her $1,000,000 bail.

During her arraignment on September 21st at the Superior Court of Los Angeles-Airport Branch, the Santa Monica D.A. amended Cameron’s charges to include murder after it was discovered that she had a previous alcohol-related traffic collision in 2007. A preliminary hearing will begin on October 29th.

The accident resulted in the death of Gary Robert Mara, pictured here with his daughter and wife, who were also at the scene

According to her Facebook page, Cameron was born in Newark, California, a little over a half-hour away from Oakland in the Bay Area. After graduating from Heyward’s Moreau Catholic High School in 2003, she attended San Francisco State.

It was during her time at SFSU that Cameron received her first DUI. According to Santa Monica Police Department PIO Sgt. Richard Lewis, Cameron was arrested and completed a program. But even after her initial arrest, Cameron still seemed to struggle with substance abuse.

Cameron’s personal blog, which has been taken down, details some of her experiences with drugs and alcohol. In one post from 2010 entitled “Giant darks shades to hide the truth,” Cameron recalls an experience where she drinks by herself in her car before meeting up with some friends in a restaurant: “I swig the bottle again, my mouth puckering and throat burning as I force my throat to contract and take it with no chaser to cool the fire… I suddenly feel like being drunk. Really, really drunk.

Cara Cameron in a picture from her Facebook page

In a Scotland trip she wrote about in 2011, Cameron claims to have used marijuana, cocaine, Xanax, and DMT, a psychedelic. Cameron never explicitly states when she moved to the Westchester area, but a January 2011 tweet states “Venice beach,” which is just five miles southeast of Westchester.

In an interview with Australia’s 9News, Julianne Mara claimed that Gary pushed his daughter out of the way, saving Olivia’s life. While Sgt. Lewis said that the Australian Consulate was not notified after Mara’s death, he did say that the Santa Monica Police Department “investigates all crime equally.”

Mara had been a notable Australian rugby player during the 1980s.

Read More:

Santa Monica Mirror: Westchester Resident To Face Murder Charge For Killing Australian Tourist

Santa Monica Patch: Driver in Australian’s Street-crossing Death Arraigned on Murder Charge

Pedestrian death leads to DUI murder charge was last modified: January 3rd, 2018 by admin

Comments

1. Angry
    Angry 13 October, 2012, 00:15

She needs to spend the rest of her days modeling jail clothes.

2. Nope
    Nope 2 November, 2012, 08:01

Lock the irresponsible drunk up.

3. Nope
    Nope 2 November, 2012, 08:01

Nope loves Angry’s comment! Good one!

4. hame on her!!
    hame on her!! 29 November, 2012, 19:49

‘SHE” continues to drink/drug AND drive to this day !!! – NO remorse only that ‘She’ may (I HOPE) face jail time.!!!!

Read the latest on a DUI driver …. Torrance California – (NOV 24th 2012) WOMEN HITS PEDISTRIAN – DRIVES 2 MILES WITH HIM STUCK IN HER WINDSHIELD. – YEP many previous DUI s !!!!!

5. Shame on her!!
    Shame on her!! 29 November, 2012, 19:51

– LOCK her Up and keep us all safe

6. Shame on her!!
    Shame on her!! 29 November, 2012, 19:53

read (November 24th 2012) news – Torrance California – drunk driver drives 2 miles with pedestrian she hit stuck in windshield – yep she was drunk too

7. Whoa
    Whoa 11 January, 2013, 18:43

Check out her Instagram- she is out traveling the world. Good for her while this family grieves.

8. Update
    Update 1 March, 2013, 07:43

Why is there no update on this? Has she spent anytime in jail? It appears she likes to advertise that to this day she is still drinking. I did look at this girls instagram and her last photo was of a Jagermeister pool table. I don’t think she learned anything from this experience.

9. Wow
    Wow 8 August, 2013, 14:31

This girl is happier than hell and she is advertising that through her facebook still – and she is now into polygamy through facebook. Crazy eh? Carasmatic is not the right word to label this reckless girl. LOCK HER UP

10. Nicole
    Nicole 9 August, 2013, 09:35

F**k you bitch!! This man was my cousin!! He was the most beautiful soul you could ever meet and was always looking out for others and your stupidity cost him his life!!! I hope you rott in hell you f**king evil bitch!!!

11. Jeff
    Jeff 30 August, 2013, 00:33

All of us known someone who was convicted of a DUI. Some of us may have one ourselves. Imagine getting a DUI and then a few years later having some drinks and driving home. These are not UNHEARD of actions. Then a guy with his family cross against the signal, and you look up and before you know it you’ve hit him. These cases are not cut and dry. She didn’t cause this accident. On any other nights she, like millions do every single day after having a few drinks, would have made it home safe and sound. By some cosmic twist of fate she hits a guy who unsafely causes a traffic accident. Murder? no way. Here everyone is treating this girl like she’s Charles Manson all of a sudden. She made some horrible decisions. She should do some jail time for sure, but nothing like 15 to life. That’s absolutely ridiculous. These “watson” murder charges are ridiculous, especially when the accident was caused by the mistake of the pedestrian. It’s funny how people are treating this woman like it’s a witch hunt. God forbid someone you love go through a similar situation. Then I am sure you will be crying for leniency. Some people need to have some freakin empathy for all involved. His actions caused this accident in the end, not her erratic driving!

12. Jay
    Jay 24 October, 2013, 14:31

The biggest risk a heart can take,
    A second chance, it’s there to make.
    Turned into three, there can’t be four,
    Gone from your life, if it turns more.

I can’t rule your life for you,
    The choice is yours, with what to do.
    Though if it comes, please spare me this,
    Your love for me cannot exist.

Inside I have, but nothing left,
    In times of love, it feels like death.
    It’s taken more than I first knew,
    I had to give, my strength it’s through.

I’m only human, man and boy,
    Don’t treat me like I’m just a toy.
    I hope from now, you’ll think of me,
    Through distance, love, brutality.

One life we lead, to walk this land,
    At times it’s hard, at times it’s grand.
    Mistakes we’ll make, through them we grow,
    It’s far too hard to see you go.

If you do care, then I believe,
    We’ll make it through, this time to grieve.
    And out the other side we’ll go,
    Through, thick, through thin, through rain through snow.

The future comes, the past, forgot,
    Dishonesty, it starts to rot.
    No lies be told, we start as new,
    From you to me, from me to you.

One year, it’s down, though not through ease,
    Two more, we can, we must, I plead.
    Please keep these thoughts so you can see,
    How much in life, you mean to me.

Cara.
    I love you.
    I forgive you.
    But don’t take advantage of that.

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*