Mendocino County Man with Multiple Warrants Accused of Assaulting, Strangling Wife

Mendocino County Man with Multiple Warrants Accused of Assaulting, Strangling Wife

A Mendocino County man with two active warrants out of two separate counties was arrested after allegedly terrorizing and assaulting his wife at their home in Willits.

40-year-old Lewis Albert Perll of Willits, whom authorities say already had a felony warrant out of Santa Clara County and a misdemeanor warrant out of Santa Cruz, as well as being on probation, is accused of threatening and assaulting his wife after the two had gone out drinking together on the night of Friday, September 23.

Perll’s wife called Sheriff’s dispatch at around 10:30 PM to report that Perll had choked her and threatened her with a machete. The call ended when the line abruptly went dead, but dispatch was able to reestablish contact, at which point the victim said that Perll had been chasing her with a machete and a sledgehammer. Investigators later learned Perll had allegedly used the sledgehammer to smash a computer in the home, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Responding deputies contacted the victim, who by that time had escaped from Perll. She told deputies that she and Perll had been out drinking and, when they returned home, Perll had gotten angry and violent, allegedly strangling her and telling her that he was not going to let her go until she stopped breathing. She managed to escape and call 9-1-1.

The woman also had visible injuries that were consistent with having been choked and assaulted, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Meanwhile, at the home, Perll was hiding inside and reportedly refusing commands to surrender, at one point allegedly grabbing a pellet gun and raising it toward deputies. He also reportedly tried to flee through a side window before quickly going back inside.

At around 1:40 the next morning, September 24, crisis negotiators were able to convince Perll to surrender peacefully. He was arrested and booked at the Mendocino County jail, where he is being held without bail.

Mendocino County Man with Multiple Warrants Accused of Assaulting, Strangling Wife was last modified: October 5th, 2022 by admin
Categories: Mendocino

About Author

Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson is a California based writer/reporter covering both national and local crime and arrest news, with a primary focus on the Northern California area.

Write a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.