Former Rap Mogul Suge Knight Pleads No Contest To Manslaughter

Former Rap Mogul Suge Knight Pleads No Contest To Manslaughter
Photo: Marion “Suge” Knight Jr.

LOS ANGELES – Marion “Suge” Knight Jr. (4/19/65, born in Compton) pleaded no contest yesterday to running over two men and killing one of them. The deadly and confusing 2015 altercation at Central and East Rosecrans avenues in Compton happened during a time of celebration for the city.

In the first place, Kendrick Lamar joined former N.W.A. members and Compton natives Ice Cube and Dre (Compton’s first billionaire) to film the Straight Outta Compton movie commercial at Tam’s Burgers, said Janna Zurita, a Compton councilwoman.

While on the set, sheriff’s deputies asked Knight to leave when he argued with Cle “Bone” Sloan, per Lt. John Corina. The rap mogul later appeared at the burger stand in his red Ford F-150 Raptor when he and Sloan resumed their tiff.

Subsequently, Tam’s sureveillance footage captured the music producer’s truck pull up to talk to several men. While he and Sloan argued and exchanged punches Knight reversed his truck, knocking Sloan to the ground, Lt. Corina said.

Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department released the events leading up to the heartbreaking death of local father figure to trouble young men, Terry Carter.

As Knight drove forward, authorities said he appeared to aim the vehicle at Sloan and Carter. Knight struck the men and drove off without notifying authorities.

As a result, Carter, who detectives believe was not involved in the argument, died at the scene. Sloan’s injuries put him in stable condition at the time.  He appeared in “Training Day” with Denzel Washington and is also a filmmaker and activist against gang violence.

The court did not allow Knight to renew his driver’s license. It had been suspended previously for a failure to appear in court charge.

Knight’s attorney, James E. Blatt, said Carter had invited Knight to the set, and was a good friend. Knight was attacked by four men, including Sloan, and was trying to escape, fearing for his life.

Heartbroken when he learned his friend had died, Knight had known Carter since the ’80s. They had previously been in business together.
Knight turned himself in for questioning at West Hollywood sheriff’s station. Law enforcement arrested and jailed him on suspicion of murder. He was denied a request for $2 million bail and remained in Men’s Central Jail.

As a murder defendant, he was not allowed to attend his mother Maxine Chapman’s funeral this past June, for which he paid nearly $20K.
Knight pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter in L.A. Superior Court mere days before the jury selection commenced.

He entered his plea to one count of voluntary manslaughter and admitted a special allegation that he used a deadly weapon, a truck. Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes of the Major Crimes Division prosecuted the case.

Finally, in exchange for his plea, the former rap mogul faces a sentence of 28 years in state prison on Oct. 4 in Department 101 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

 

Former Rap Mogul Suge Knight Pleads No Contest To Manslaughter was last modified: December 17th, 2018 by admin
Tags: Suge Knight

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.