San Bernardino police gun down man who fired shots

SAN BERNARDINO – A 32-year-old man was fatally shot by police Saturday morning.

Lorenzo Anthony Baca III was walking on the Fifth Street overpass around 8 a.m. when a San Bernardino Police patrol unit saw him walking alone with a sharp object sticking out of his rear pocket, according to reports.

When a pedestrian check was initiated, Baca ran away then pulled a handgun and began shooting at the officer who was chasing him, according to the release. The officer shot back, striking Baca.

Officers reported that Baca ignored the officer’s request to stop, attempting to flee the area on foot. He ran westbound with one officer in pursuit.

A short time later, Baca reportedly turned toward the officer and fired with a handgun.

The officer returned the gunfire, but the suspect continued to flee and fired at the officer a second time, according to reports. After the officer returned the gunfire, Baca ran down a steep embankment.

Sgt. Gary Robertson said, “The officers didn’t know who the suspect was.”

Reports stated that Baca again ignored officer’s commands to stop and to show his hands. The officer said the suspect began reaching into his front waistband area. Fearing the suspect was reaching for a gun, the officer fired at Baca.

At that point, said officers, Baca stopped resisting and was taken into custody. His gun, a semi-automatic handgun, was located nearby along with a screwdriver.

“We’re not aware of anyone else on the overpass when this happened,” said Robertson.

Baca was taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center emergency room where he died of his injuries at 8:19 a.m. Neither officer was struck by the suspect’s gunfire.

Robertson said it’s department policy not to release the names of officers involved in shootings. “Normally, it’s released after it’s reviewed by the (district attorney),” he said.

Baca, who had been convicted of three felonies including a 2004 charge for assault with a deadly weapon and two other burglary charges, along with a misdemeanor conviction.

The case will be submitted to the District Attorney’s Office for review purposes.

Read more:

The Sun, Police fatally shoot man on Fifth Street overpass

San Bernardino police gun down man who fired shots was last modified: January 11th, 2019 by admin
Categories: California, San Bernardino

Comments

  1. Dnttrip
    Dnttrip 21 September, 2012, 09:21

    Liesz Forreal tho They Killed My Cousin On the Spot N The 17 Timesz They Shot Him was Not koo at all

    Reply this comment

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.